Have you ever experienced the urgent call of nature right after waking up, rushing to the bathroom for morning diarrhea? It is definitely not an ideal way to the day, and while morning diarrhea might be normal once in a while, consistent episodes indicate an underlying health issue. In this blog, we have detailed the top 7 reasons why your morning starts with diarrhea.
What Causes Diarrhea Every Morning?
Here are 7 probable causes for having loose stool every morning:
1. Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
Irritable Bowel Syndrome, or IBS, is a chronic condition that presents itself as constipation, persistent morning diarrhea, or a mix of both. Some people with IBS experience more frequent bowel movements in the morning due to the natural variations in bowel motility.
2. Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD)
This condition encapsulates a range of digestive tract disorders, including Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis. Both lead to persistent inflammation plus ulceration in the digestive system, often causing diarrhea. The increased intestinal activity is the main reason for morning diarrhea in individuals with IBD.
3. Food Intolerances
Some people’s digestive systems may find it difficult to break down specific foods, such as lactose or gluten, that prove to be a major cause of digestive discomfort, including diarrhea. Even after a diagnosis of sensitivity, if you consume them regularly, consistent morning diarrhea will follow.
It may not be the news that coffee lovers would want to hear, but morning diarrhea is a common occurrence due to caffeine in it. This component is a stimulant that kick-starts your digestive system and induces frequent bowel movements. Other than that, it may irritate your gut, resulting in diarrhea.
5. Medications or Supplements
If you are a patient with any chronic illness, taking medications and supplements may disrupt your digestive system’s functioning, leading to diarrhea as soon as you wake up.
GI infections are no joke. They can be caused by bacteria, viruses, or parasites that trigger diarrhea every day when waking up.
7. Stress and Anxiety
It may sound unreal, but your emotions greatly influence your digestive system. In case you have high levels of stress and anxiety, they may cause changes in your bowel movements, potentially resulting in loose stool.
While it is not possible to avoid morning diarrhea, here are some steps you can take to prevent it and manage the symptoms:
- Handwashing: Following good hand-cleaning hygiene practices recommended by the CDC is imperative to get rid of diarrhea. Washing hands thoroughly using soap and clean water can reduce the risk.
- Food Allergies and Intolerances: In case you are aware of any food allergies or intolerances, prevent from taking it.
- Antidiarrheal Medications: If the situation is getting out of control, antidiarrheal medications can help manage your symptoms. However, get in touch with a doctor before using them.
- IBS and IBD Management: If your morning diarrhea is due to either IBS or IBD, doctors have various a combination of treatments, including dietary changes, increased fiber intake, psychological therapies, supplements, and medications to address inflammation.
You can find relief by understanding the underlying causes and seeking appropriate medical attention. Our team at Aqeeq Internal Medicine is only a call away to aid you with medical assistance. Talk to us by dialing (832) 786-8195. Or, you can also drop by our office at 16125 Cairnway Dr. Ste 114 Houston, TX 77084, right next to the Chiropractic Clinic.